I hope you enjoy these weekly updates as I learn to navigate through the business of flipping houses. This flip, Millie is the most challenging and most exciting yet! You can find more about this house and about my 3 previous flip houses here. This week was MORE landscaping. It's seemingly endless, but at least I can finally see an inkling of the light at the end of the tunnel. It's still a ways away, but at least I can see it. I know landscaping isn't the most enthralling part of the flipping process, so I'll try to make it interesting.
I ripped out approximately 18.5 more bushes. If you are a bush in this yard and you have done something to offend me- you will be ripped out. .5 because the last one fought back and since it was the end of the day I didn't have the energy to beat it into submission. That'll be today.
I spent quite a bit of time in the front yard this week where 18 of the 18.5 bushes were ripped out. I am pleased to say that after some minor trimming and weeding today, the front yard will be ready for grass seed!
All 3 sides of this little area used to be edged in sad-looking bushes. The only way in with the lawnmower was a small opening behind the tree.
So out they came.
And the neighbors rejoiced. No really, they did. Maybe rejoiced isn't the right word, but I've gotten so many comments from passerbys about how nice the yard is starting to look and how cool the house is (now that it can be seen).
Across the front yard, one exit from the front porch heads to the side where it meets a gas-light lined 'terrace' walkway that runs next to the house (must find out the history of this terrace and it's houses). This little sidewalk was getting claustrophobic before. At less than 10 feet long, it was crowded on either side with 12 bushes.
Problem solved and now the home has a better connection to a really cool neighborhood feature. Fence repair, grass, mulch and a new stair and railing will finish off this view.
Don't worry, all the bushes that I ripped out didn't go to waste, though. All of the hollys that I ripped out this week and last either got adopted by my mother in law or a neighbor (they'd disappear from my brush pile at night) and several other bushes are being relocated in the yard.
Last week, when I left you in the back yard, there was still a partial privacy fence of 100% weeds (back left).
Today? That same corner finally allows for a gorgeous view of the other antique bungalows along the gas-light lined terrace.
Yes, the fence needs repair- my contractor's on that. Yes, that sorry brick edging needs to go- I'm on that. I believe it's official now- the yard waste piles are as tall as I am if not taller and they keep multiplying (or I keep ripping stuff out.... one or the other)
In addition to taming the jungle of weeds, my contractor has also gotten started on repairing the deck which was previously perched on crooked footings and had unsafe stairs and railings.
This was also a week of discoveries. Discoveries are fun in an old house (unless those discoveries cost lots of money to fix, but luckily I had none of those this week)
When Handy Dad was assisting me chop up and move a rotten fallen tree, we discovered that the patio in that area was about 3 feet larger than we though. When the tree had fallen, they moved the edging rocks out to around the tree as opposed to removing the tree. Logical, no? This is the regained patio space. The rest is covered with yet another brush pile. I think it's time to make those go away...
The next discovery was made by my electrician and at first it confused the bejeezus out of him. Canvas ceilings. Not everywhere, but only in the dining room, future first floor master, and future first floor master bath. I didn't think to walk around poking ceilings before since they all looked the same, but I know better now! So, canvas ceilings- the original drop ceiling. It's literally canvas stretched across the entire ceiling. If there's a way we can work around them and keep them, you bet I'll be doing that! They're weird and cool and what makes fixing an old house fun.
My hard wood flooring guy also made the discovery that I have hard wood floors hiding under the multiple layers of linoleum in the kitchen. No picture since I haven't started the archeological dig through the linoleum, but soon enough.
This week, I also discovered that vintage nerf whistler footballs make great homes for plant roots
AND I discovered that I'm not above picking up toilets off the side of the road.... In my defense, the sign on it said "FREE never used" and it was bone dry with it's original stickers still on it. Mine! At the very least it'll end up in the basement bathroom. Free stuff is fun!
Well, that about sums up my week. Yard work is exhausting and I have a relaxing weekend planned with no physical labor required.
Have a great weekend!