After the painting finished up, I knew I needed to add a bit of a warmer touch to the house. I debated putting shutters back, but ultimately decided that beefing up new house numbers would totally do the trick. I love high impact projects for low wallet impact.
The font and the newly curb appealed terrace side both got numbers for less than $20 a piece.
It all started with $6 Home Depot numbers, a piece of 1/2" poplar, and some stain.
I laid out the numbers to determine the size of the wood and cut 4 equal pieces- each house number backer would be 2 boards side by side.
The 2 boards on the left were bought new, the right were left over from a previous project. Although they're the same wood, I was surprised how differently they took the stain. Luckily it didn't matter since 2 boards were going on one side of the house and 2 on the other.
At first my brain tried to over-complicate this installation. I thought about using my kreg jig to attach the boards to one another and then attach the numbers before putting the assembly on the house, then about how to hang it on the house..... Luckily I came to my senses and simplified.
First step was figuring out the placement on the porch posts.
I decided that I wanted them just over a foot above the railings. Using my level (which also has a handy ruler on it as well) I also figured out where to place the first board for the finished product to be centered.
Holding that one board in place, I picked up my finish nail gun and placed a nail in the center of the board.
This holds it in place while I adjust it. Even though I used my level, it's more important to have it parallel to the porch post.... which in a 100 year old house probably isn't 100% level anymore. Once piece one looked level, I nailed piece number 2 next to it also with just one center nail.
After stepping back and being pleased with their placement, I put a couple more nails into each board for stability. I have to say, if you've never used a nail gun, you have no idea what you're missing. I swear this is one of the most useful tools that I have! Plus it's fun and helps me build pretty things.
With the backer board in place, it was time to install the house numbers themselves.
All I did here was follow the directions that came with the house numbers. Place template, drill holes, put spacers onto numbers, glue/caulk spacers into drilled holes.
I'm kind of in love with them. It's just what the outside of this house needed!
A big house needs house numbers that stand out.
Bonus if they make me smile.
The house is starting to coordinate with the fall decor delightfully. I totally planned it that way...